Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Mardi Gras '99






I bet you thought that I was going to give you our family's recipe for Jambalaya, didn't ya? Well I'm not, only because I'm saving that for a special occassion. But I will share with you my German roots: Fastnacht Kuecheles. And hopefully, my Mom won't kill me for giving away the family secret!

What you'll need:

Flour
Sugar
Yeast (1 packet)
Oleo or Margarine
Milk
1 Egg at room temp.
Crisco (that's right a can of lard) for frying

What to do:

In a large bowl, mix 1 cup Flour, yeast, 1/8 cup sugar. Melt 1/8 cup oleo/margarine, and add a little less than 1 cup of milk to the saucepan, heating just until lukewarm. Then add to dry ingredients and beat with an electric mixer on medium for 2 minutes.

Add 1 egg and 1/4 cup Flour to make a thick batter. Mix on high for 2 minutes.

Add 3/4 cup more Flour and stir in with a spoon (not the electric mixer). Cover the bowl and let rise til double in size (about 1 hour).

Place dough on floured surface and knead slightly. Roll out dough to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into squares (about 2 x 2 inches). Let dough stand, Covered, while heating Crisco to 375 degrees.



Fry each square until brown. Remove from oil and set on a paper towel. Once dried, shake in your choice of cinnamon sugar (my favorite) or confectionary sugar.



This whole frying can take a while, but man, there won't be any left by the time you finish with the next batch. Plus it's perfect while waiting to hear election results. It may sound a little difficult, compared to my earlier recipes, but I'm here to tell you, Yes, you can ;)

No comments: